Wednesday, June 08, 2011

sports addict

"Hi, my name is Julia, and I'm a sports addict." "Hi, Julia."

Phew. I was needing to get that off my chest.

It would seem that my evenings, right now, revolve around the NBA and NHL playoffs. While J. and I haven't completely rescheduled our lives in order to become couch potatoes (there are far too many birthdays, anniversaries, and soccer games in our lives for that!), we have certainly taken advantage of our PVR (Personal Video Recorder: a device that pre-records live television programs and saves them for playback later) during this playoff season.

Seriously. If anyone wonders why we're tired, it's because we're coming home from our evening activities and then starting to watch the games we've recorded...often beginning to watch at 10pm or even later. Okay, okay, a three-hour broadcast is at least an hour of commercials, halftimes, or intermissions, but poor J. is going to his morning meetings bleary-eyed with exhilarated exhaustion. I'm okay on a meagre five hours, but J.? Not so much. At least the games are on alternating nights (doubtlessly co-ordinated that way by the head honchos of the leagues to ensure the viewership of addicts like us).

This morning, having been up watching the NBA finals last night until nearly 1am, we woke up, rolled over, looked at each other sleepily, and exclaimed almost simultaneously, "Dallas won!"

Not "Good morning, sleepyhead."
Not "Hello, lover."
Nope. "Dallas won!"

And wait a second. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe I woke up yesterday morning, opened my eyes, and uttered the words, "8-1. Seriously? 8-1." as my good morning hello. (For those not in the know or who don't really care but are very confused, 8-1 was the ridiculous score of Game #3 of the Stanley Cup hockey finals. A terrible showing by the Canucks.)

It's official, people.
Sports addiction is running rampant in our household.

At least it's both of us. I can't imagine being with a guy who didn't love sports, and the fact that J. and I are both active, fitness-oriented people as well as avid sports fans (not just token sports fans, and yes, there's a difference) is one of the things that has bonded us from the beginning.

I mean, we met playing beach volleyball, after all.
I guess it was meant to be.

No comments: